After taking off the front bumper and removing the driver’s side headlight, I had to completely disassemble the headlight itself to change out the ballast. The ballast itself was accessible via a panel on the bottom of the headlight, but the part which plugged in to the bulb wouldn’t fit between the reflector and the body of the headlight.
I needed to remove the lens off the front, which was mainly secured by silicone sealant. to loosen the sealant, I baked the headlight in the oven at 220 degrees for 8 minutes. I could start to get it loose at that point, but it required two more sessions in the oven, 2 minutes each, before I got it off fully.
The reflector was held on by the adjustment screws which are used to align the headlight. I recorded the position of the bottom screw, but by the time I realized what they were for, I had already moved the top screw. I think I’ve gotten them back to close to the original position, but eventually I want to perform the full calibration procedure from the service manual.
Going down the onramp onto US60, I was getting on it … hit redline in first gear, shifted to second, continued at full throttle. Power dipped, the check engine light started flashing! I let off the throttle, and the check engine light stopped flashing. Seems to be running fine now; probably a misfire. It’s time to replace the spark plugs anyway …
After leaving the Phoenix International Auto Show, the RX-8 wouldn’t start!
We went and had lunch, then bought jumper cables. When we went to hook up the jumper cables, we realized the negative battery cable was loose! I didn’t do a good job re-tightening it after trying to fix the headlight.
I returned the jumper cables. I’d like to buy a trickle charger someday.
Once they arrived, I removed the driver’s side wheelwell and reached in to change the bulb.
After putting in the new bulb, the headlight still didn’t work!
I put the old headlight back in and ordered a new ballast. The service manual calls it the “Discharge headlight control module”. I think it produces the 25,000 volts needed by the High Intensity Discharge (HID) bulb.
Taking the wheelwell out is a major pain; mainly because the plastic fasteners used are easily broken. I think I broke 3 or 4 of them.
Bought a wheel on ebay to replace the wheel I hit with a curb. I also ordered
some new Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 tires yesterday. The current wheel looks bad
but is still functional, so I intend to keep it, with the tire on it, as a
spare. hopefully I can get a large wheel bag to put it in and keep it in the
utility room, out of the heat, so it won’t get dry-rotted.